Thursday, October 04, 2007

I know I'm probably not the first person to point this out, and I probably won't be the last...but I notice a lack of outrage from Americans and specifically the American Government concerning the situation in Burma. I mean, if we were willing to tear apart Iraq for the sake of bringing democracy to the Middle East, perhaps we should have that same enthusiasm for a country whose dissidents are risking their lives to protest their lack of democracy. Oh wait, why do we not care about Burma? That's right, there's no oil there. Oh, and in interferring with Burma we might piss off China. And we don't want to make the country that provides us with cheap, but poisonous goods angry. Especially since they own a large portion of our debt.
So the official American stance on Democracy is that we only fight for democracy when it benefits us.

No comments: