Thursday, May 10, 2007

In Praise of my Liberal Arts Degree


MARTHA GRAHAM
Originally uploaded by HoldThatTiger.

After a B.A. in English with a minor in Film and an M.L.I.S. (Master of Library and Information Science) I still have trouble finding a job. I'm looking, and I have faith that I will eventually find one, but I recognize that I live in a society that no longer seems to value culture and education, so finding a job that allows me to utilize skills in these areas will be understandably hard to come by. I think that some Liberal Arts majors get discouraged and maybe even regret not follwing an education path that would be more economically viable...not me.

I was at the library today looking at the CDs. I suddenly decided that I was in the mood for some classical music, and decided on Aaron Copeland. I went home put in Appalachian Spring and upon reading the liner notes realized that it was originally written as a ballet featuring Martha Graham. It then occured to me that the only reason I know the name Martha Graham is because of a Comparative Arts class I took in college. This same class also introduced me to the work of Frida Kahlo and Brancusi. Throughout my undergraduate career I was able to take English, Film, and Art History classes that allowed me to be introduced to artists, writers, auteurs, and composers that I otherwise would not know. To me, this is the essence of education.

An investigation into the american education system shows that it is broken. Teacher after teacher will tell you how the "No Child Left Behind" act doesn't work. As the price of colleges skyrocket in the United States there is a growing division between those who can afford the education that they want and those who have to settle for the educational experience that will make them the money needed to pay off the massive student debt. I'm not sorry that I chose to get a liberal arts degree. What I'm sorry about is that we live in society where art and culture are seen as luxeries not necessities.

No comments: